On Sun, Apr 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM, erik quanstrom <quans...@labs.coraid.com> wrote:
>> The reason it doesn't work on 9vx is because the 32 bit Go runtime
>> reserves a large chunk of address space (currently 768mb).  On all
>> other platforms, this is accomplised with an mmap equivalient, which
>> we all know won't work on Plan 9.
>>

> if i read the thread on this topic correctly, this reservation
> isn't necessary on plan 9, since there are no shared libraries
> and the heap will always be contiguous.

no, the shared libraries are not going to affect the heap size.
Certainly not to this scale.

My understanding was that Go used this large sparse address space to
effect for its garbage collection; the fact that it is backed by mmap
of anonymous memory is what makes it work, since pages are not
allocated until touched. Russ?

ron