On Fri Apr  8 05:10:49 EDT 2011, rogpe...@gmail.com wrote:
> i'm not keen on disks within disks because you either have to waste
> lots of space or risk running out of it.

true, but ...

is disk space your most constrained resource?
is a free byte on disk wasted or not?

i bought the smallest practical disks to use in
a raid5, and still have this ratio of used to free

                wmax   =  1787567           0+ 0%
                wsize  = 183143631           1+ 0%

so plan 9 has really miniscule requirements.  and
both venti and cwfs can add storage on an add-needed basis.
so you don't need to "waste" more than a 1gb at a time.
(probablly <= 1/4 the amount of ram you have in your
machine :-)

i'd probablly just devote 32gb to the 9vx and be done
with it.  it's taken me 7 years to fill up the first 13.