> The problem is that throughput and responsiveness are enemies.
no. not throughput, but buffer sizes are the enemy of latency

> you're trying to push a large quantity of data down a TCP connection,
> and try to do anything interactive over that same connection, the
> latency will make that interaction very slow

no. you have full freedom to prioritize the interactive part on
application layer (since you mention TCP layer).

> the transport medium needs to know how to differentiate
> between the two kinds of traffic.
no, any other layer could also differentiate the traffic.

> you would need a way to set different TCP options on 9P messages for
> different purposes.

TCP doesn't differentiate well. TCP fairness is not fine-grained
enough for this, so i still don't think the transport layer is well
suited.

what we really need is 9p (file/fd) level distributed scheduling.