On Tue, Dec 29, 2020, at 18:50, cigar562hfsp952f...@icebubble.org wrote:
> It's well-known that 9P has trouble transferring large files (high
> volume/high bandwith) over high-latency networks, such as the Internet.

>From what I know of 9P, I don't think this is the fault of the protocol
itself. In fact, since 9P lets the clients choose Fid and Tag identifiers,
it should be uniquely well suited for "long fat pipes". You could avoid
waiting for round-trips by optimistically assuming your requests succeed.
For example, you could do the following to optimistically read the first
8K bytes of a file without needing to wait for a response from the server.

* Twalk tag=1 fid=0 newfid=1 /path/to/somefile
* Topen tag=2 fid=1 o_read
* Tread tag=3 fid=1 off=0 count=4096
* Tread tag=4 fid=1 off=4096 count=4096
* Tclunk tag=5 fid=1

I'm not aware of any client implementations that do this kind of
pipelining, though.

David