There is much I would like to explain, but the problem I am attempting to
solve ought to have an obvious answer that I am clearly missing.

I can't seem to get a 9front workstation to mount a networked 9legacy
fossil service. The FS is a fairly pristine 9legacy installation, on a
somewhat old 386 platform. I did need to tweak various parameters on both
side, but eventually I got to the point where both hosts declare that the
connection has been established; now on the 9front workstation I get the
message
    "srv net!192.96.33.148!9fs: mount failed: fossil authCheck: auth
protocol not finished"
I suspect the culprit is the lack of the newer "dp9ik" security on 9legacy,
in which case it would be helpful to know how to work around that.

Why am I mixing my platforms like this? Because the hardware on which I am
attempting to recover a rather large historical file system is split
between IDE and SATA and I have no hardware that can handle both disk modes
and I need to move information between the two media types. I am not
describing all the dead ends I tried, incidentally, that would take too
long and really expose my limited understanding.

It took almost a day to copy the Fossil cache (or lose a lot of the most
recent changes) and now I need (or at least want) to update the default
boot ("arenas") Venti configuration on a SATA drive which I can only access
on hardware I can't install 9legacy on. It's complicated and I'm sure there
are people here who would not find this so daunting, but that's where I am
at. To be precise, I need to change the Fossil default configuration (in
the "fossil" cache) so it points to the correct Venti arenas. I'll deal
with the analogous Venti situation when I get past the total absence of
Fossil tools on 9front.

I guess I can port fossil/conf to 9front, but I'm not sure I have the
stomach to try that. Maybe now that I have raised the possibility...

I managed to share the Fossil cache through a NetBSD server providing u9fs
services, but that host does not have the capacity to store the Venti
arenas, nor can I really justify spending the amount of time it would take
to pass it between the 9legacy and 9front devices via NetBSD, no matter how
I try to arrange that. It does baffle me, though, that a NetBSD
intermediary is more competent than the two "native" platforms.

I must admit I got to know nits in these two distributions that I would
rather I didn't have to, but I've just about had enough.

--
Lucio De Re
2 Piet Retief St

Ph.: +27 58 653 1433