Hi Hiro et al,

I view Plan 9 4th Edition as a version that remains largely unchanged, serving
as a snapshot in time, while 9legacy represents an active, distinct
distribution. Conversely, 9front is a fork that has evolved significantly from
Plan 9 4th Edition, making considerable advancements in recent years.

I appreciate the push for modernization with 9front, but I also see value in
maintaining support for older versions like Plan 9 4th Edition and 9legacy.
Living in Japan, I have access to inexpensive hardware—local computer resellers
often offer older computers for as little as 2,000 yen each (e.g. $12.85 USD).
For about 8,000 yen, it is possible to set up a functional Plan 9 system.  This
isn’t about leading the charge with the latest and greatest OS; it's about the
joy of tinkering and making the most of accessible resources.  For hobbyists
like myself, the ability to use and experiment with older systems is
invaluable.  Maintaining some level of support or compatibility in the
community can enhance the inclusiveness and experimental spirit that is
fundamental to Plan 9’s ethos.

Maintaining updates and compatibility between Plan 9 4th Edition, 9legacy, and
9front can provide several benefits, especially in a diverse community like
that of Plan 9.  Here are some of the key advantages:

(1) Broader Hardware Support:  By keeping Plan 9 4th Edition and 9legacy
updated, users who rely on older or less common hardware configurations that
may not be fully supported by 9front can still benefit from updates and
improvements.  This is particularly useful in academic or hobbyist settings
where newer hardware may not be readily available or economically feasible.

(2) Incremental Upgrades:  Some users may prefer an incremental approach to
system upgrades rather than a complete switch to a newer version. Integrating
changes from 9front into 9legacy and Plan 9 4th Edition allows these users to
benefit from specific enhancements without the need to overhaul their entire
system setup.

(3) Community Engagement:  Keeping these versions updated helps engage
different segments of the Plan 9 community.  It acknowledges the needs and
preferences of those who might prefer the familiarity of 9legacy or Plan 9 4th
Edition, fostering a more inclusive and vibrant community.

(4) Preservation of Educational and Historical Value:  Plan 9 has significant
educational and historical importance in the field of operating systems.
Maintaining and updating older versions ensures that this legacy is preserved,
allowing new generations of students and enthusiasts to learn from and
experiment with these systems.

(5) Security and Stability:  Regular updates can address security
vulnerabilities and fix bugs across all versions, ensuring that even older
deployments remain secure and stable.  This is crucial for maintaining the
integrity and usability of the systems over time.

(6) Customization:  Some users or organizations might have customized their
systems based on older versions of Plan 9.  Keeping these systems updated with
changes from 9front can provide a path for these custom setups to receive new
features and improvements while maintaining their unique configurations.

Overall, the integration of updates across different versions of Plan 9 can
help keep the system modern, secure, and accessible to a wide range of users,
enhancing both its utility and appeal.

In embracing both the new and preserving the old, we not only honor the rich
legacy of Plan 9 but also ensure its relevance and accessibility for all users,
regardless of their hardware or specific needs. By updating 9legacy and Plan 9
4th Edition alongside 9front, we foster a community that values progress and
innovation while respecting and supporting the diverse ways in which people
interact with our beloved operating system. Together, let's continue to build a
welcoming and vibrant Plan 9 community that thrives on both change and
tradition.

Kind regards,
Vester "Vic" Thacker