On Wed, May 15, 2024 at 11:20:48AM -0400, Don Bailey wrote:
> But please document them and provide rationale/evidence for their
removal.

You've been on this list a while.  You should remember therefore that
Fossil was a *constant* topic of debate here for *years*.
Specifically, people kept reporting that Fossil had beshit their data,
and other people deemed that a skill issue and insisted Fossil was fine.
As bug fixes trickled out, Fossil continued to be fine, and people's
data kept getting corrupted.  Maybe Fossil is fixed now!  Maybe it
isn't!  It's not worth finding out, and the situation was never helped
by the "there is no war in Ba Sing Se" crowd refusing to take bug
reports -- and actively attacking bug reporters.

So, the backstory of Fossil on 9fans is what led to it getting deleted.
Asking for 'evidence' is just more of the same gaslighting that happened
on this very list.

> How was the lack-of-stability tested? To what degree was it tested?
etc.

Not how it works.  The burden of support is on the distributor.  Part of
forking software is, when it breaks, people come knocking on your
door/mailing list/ircnet complaining that "your" software ate their
computer.  We *knew* Fossil was unreliable, so continuing to ship it in
that state was idiotic.  Removing it was an act of self-defense and/or
housekeeping, depending on how militant you like your metaphors.

Meanwhile, since the defossilization of 9front, Fossil itself continued
to receive attention.  It sounds like the sp9sss dropped the ball on
coordinating some of that, but we are assured that Fossil is great now.
The problem is: we were assured Fossil was great then, too, especially
when it wasn't.  Therefore it is the burden of the Chamber of Fossil
Fraternity Et Exuberance to prove that it is stable, and test it to such
a degree that it's worth considering again.  The rest of us are tired of
driving in that circle.

You can even store it on our sources server, or put the code on our git9
repo host.   We don't hate Fossil users.  We just don't want to take
responsibility for it.

khm