Laurie writes:

| Incidentally, it occurred to me that "/G" would be a logical name for the
| degenerate single-note chord which has G in the bass and nothing else.  Any
| takers?

Well, as an accordion  player,  my  response  would  be  "What's  the
difference?"  That's  pretty much a description of the first two rows
of "chords" on the left side of an accordion.  Though players tend to
call them "bass notes", they are usually made up of two or more reeds
that sound in  different  octaves,  so  they  are  "chords"  in  this
degenerate  sense.   And,  of  course,  organs  and harpsichords have
similar multi-octave coupling mechanisms.