>I'm going to take the liberty of reposting my suggestion for chord syntax,
>since it seems to have got rather lost amid discussions on MUSE's, abc2midi;s
>and the draft standard.
>
>Hey, Rocky - watch me pull a formal grammer out of this hat!

We have a choice of two possible routes here.  We can try to accommodate
the vagaries of current musical useage, or we can follow a strict set
of definitions as proposed here.  The first option will never be entirely
correct because current musical useage is ambiguous (but it probably
would suit most users most of the time).  The second option will give
the programmers something concrete to work with, and personally I much
prefer it.

(However, it will have to be written out in English, or most abc users
won't even bother to read it.)

Phil Taylor