James Allwright wrote:

> My guess is that this is a stylistic change made by whoever created the
> MIDI files.

In this particular case I created the midi files myself with Finale,
using every trick I know of to optimize them for midi2abc.
Actually, I use midi2abc and abc2midi almaost exclusively to transfer
files between Finale and ABC, praying for the day someone comes up with
a ABC-ETF converter so I wouldn't have to take the detour through
midiland anymore.

I've already tried praying and begging for that, but maybe some bribery
would work:
If someone can come up with a direct (two-way) path between ABC and
Finale for Macintosh, I swear I'll have Bach's complete choral
harmonisations up on the web in ABC format within a month.

> Unless you have a very old version of midi2abc, you should
> be able to retrieve exactly the notes from a computer-generated MIDI
> file that were put in unless the notes get very short.

That might be the problem. There are two independent Mac ports of
midi2abc. Both share the same bugs, but they might both be based on
outdated source code.

> If you send me the MIDI files you have, I will have a go at converting
> them. I'd like to see an abc version of Terpsichore on the web, so
> I'm willing to spend some time on this project.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm almost finished with the few
pieces I have access to, but thanks anyway :-)

Frank Nordberg