On Tue 12 Jun 2001 at 06:35AM -0400, Laura Conrad wrote:

>     James> The c>c construct is a problem because it is notated as a
>     James> 3:1 ratio but played as a 2:1 ratio.
>
> Played by whom?  Does the standard document this?

Played by abc2midi and played by most players of hornpipes,
I believe. If you try changing abc2midi so that it uses a 3:1 ratio,
you should find that hornpipes don't sound quite right.
Of course, this is all subjective and maybe you play things a bit
differently in Boston :-) . As far as I know this is not documented
in the standard at all, since it is more musical knowledge
than anything to do with abc.

James Allwright