I'm in a state of shock.  I find myself totally agreeing with something Phil
Taylor has said -

>Nobody's criticising the author of the program.  However, the explosion
>in computer use over the past few years has mainly come about as the
>result of GUI interfaces like Windows and MacOS which don't require
>users to mess with the works.  Most users don't understand the difference
>between source and object code and wouldn't have a clue what to do with
>a C compiler.  Neither do they want to learn - they are not interested
>in computers per se, only in what they can do with them.

YES!   Imagine trying to sell a wordprocessor and saying "You'll have to find
a C compiler and compile it yourself.  It usually works."

A lot of potential abc users are going to look at abc2ps (and its multiple
clones) and say "bung that for a lark".  They will look for something they
can download, install and use (abc2win for instance?).

John Chambers had said -

>Great! Someone provides a program that solves the problem  of  binary
>incompatibility  by  supplying  the source in ANSI C.  Several people
>report compiling it on various obscure systems without any  problems.

Nice to have maybe but the only thing that really has to be portable across
all systems and all software packages is abc itself and at the moment it
isn't.

Bryan Creer