On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Jack Campin wrote:

> + in every printed score I own, the tempo text, expression text, and
> + guitar chords are distinguishable from one another by their typeface
> + alone.
>
> But they aren't *identifiable* by their typeface alone - no two publishers
> use the same set of conventions.

That doesn't matter.  The point is, distinguishing between different kinds
of text *in some way* is beneficial to the performer.  Performers who are
used to reading music will take this convention for granted.

> In any case, is merely being able to implicitly specify a different
> typeface for tempo indications a feature worth the bother of
> implementing?

This is not a matter of "merely" changing typeface.  I was adding just one
example to many other good points.

There are other benefits to specifying a context for text information.
Sorting, filtering, and extracting information based on context would be
useful.  I regularly do this kind of thing, for instance to extract just
the titles and words from a large collection of tunes.  This would not be
possible if lyrics were written "_like" "_this".

John