From: John Chambers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 2:50 PM
Subject: Re: [abcusers] tempo

Laurie writes:
| Jack said "...Your suggestions have exactly the expressive power I was
| asking for, with one minor omission: the label <dotted minim> = <minim>
you
| get in staff notation when the metre changes...."
|
| Q:1/2 -- sets the beat to minim
| abc abc
| Q:3/2 -- sets the beat to dotted minim which therefore equals the old
minim

Well, yes, for the purposes of software.  But if this  just  produced
the  dotted  minim  above  the staff in the printed music, few if any
musicians would have even the slightest idea what was  intended.   If
they  noticed  the  inexplicable  note above the staff, they'd mostly
guess that it was some sort of printer's hiccup, since  it  obviously
has no musical meaning. Unless, of course, the note head is too close
to the staff, in which case they'd treat it as a g note (which  would
also obviously be a mistake after the first playing).

To get it treated as anything other than a mistake, you'd have to say
Q:1/2=3/2 and the displayed/printed output would have to show the two
notes with the '=' in between. (And I suppose we should also state in
the  spec that the first length is the old beat and the second is the
new, or half the people writing abc players would do it the other way
'round. ;-)

To subscribe/unsubscribe, point your browser to:
http://www.tullochgorm.com/lists.html