This isn't directly about ABC, but I hope it's of interest:

Over the years I've been developing an index that identifies tunes
simply on the basis of whether they go up or down from one note to
the next, called Torus (Tunes ORdered Using Shape). Originally
hardcopy, it's now available online at
     http://www.thomasbending.co.uk/torus/
with a database of about 1100 tunes. Please try it out and tell me if
it's useful and how it might be improved.

I'm aware that other people have developed similar systems
independently. I'm not claiming that mine is bigger, faster or better
than any other, since it probably isn't.

Thomas Bending