On Fri, 26 Apr 2002, Atte Andre Jensen wrote:

> On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Jack Campin wrote:
> >  I assume Muse would need something similar
> >     to BarFly.  Most of the material doesn't really need to have the
> >     chords separated into a different voice, and many more programs
> >     could handle your tunes if you provided a zipped-together version.

How does different platforms handle tarballs anyways? (You did did find
the slightly hidden (at the bottom of the "songs" page) tarball with all
tunes in abc, right?)

My idea behind using the same two voice approach to all tunes is that

1) Although a certain tune can be set within the standard, I often find
mysel adding alternate chords later where I suddenly need My Hack. So
might as well to it from the beginning

2) All tunes follow the same conventions which for instance means that:

3) It is more easy to extract the correct voices (using abcselect), for
the different types of output.

I might note that this site started as you regular
a-bunch-of-100%-standard-abc-files-+-a-tarball-site, but my visitors often
didn't want to know about abc or just needed a specific tune (often
transposed), so I broke away. I would love to have everything as standard
abc, but since that won't do what I need, I found the best (for my
purpose) abc'er around which is abcm2ps, stuck to that, and used what it
can do. Maybe my site is not a real abc site, but a songbook-site that can
output abcm2ps type of abc. So what? My visitors need the pdf's more than
the abc, so the abc is more of an internal format.

Regards
--
l8er
Atte