Jack Campin wrote:

>>> lack of a way to notate non-classical key signatures.
>> Over the five year history of BarFly, I've had exactly one request from
>> a user for more complex repeat structures and nobody has ever asked for
>> global accidentals to be rolled into the key signature rather than
>> placed on the individual notes as the program does now.
>
>I've asked for the latter more generally, on this list, as something
>all ABC implementations ought to support: it's a basic pre-requisite
>for starting to handle non-Western-European music, and without it ABC
>can't begin to do microtones in a usable way.

I'd have done it long ago if it were easy.  It looks as if it ought
to be easy, but it would mean changing the way in which the program
stores key signatures.  Such a fundamental change would have to be
handled very carefully, as it would interact with almost everything
else.

>That said, the missing feature I've most wanted in BarFly for years is
>the ability to define my own graphical ornament symbols (the requirement
>predates macros, but now we've got them each such sign could perhaps be
>bound to a macro).  Not particularly easy because of the positioning
>issues and the problem of referencing the graphical elements in a portable
>way, and I'm well aware that Baroque ornament signs aren't something many
>folks want to use.  Microtonal modes would be a lot simpler and have a far
>larger potential user base.

I'd like to do roll-your-own ornaments but there are, as you say lots of
problems.  One possibility would be to let you specify the font for
annotations.  You could then use a font editor to create a special font
containing the symbols you want.  Font editors are expensive though.

>And of course tempi in words.

Coming soon to a screen near you.

Phil Taylor