Atte wrote:
| On Sat, 25 May 2002, John Chambers wrote:
| > Isn't this slicing your baloney rather thin?
|
| I don't get it...

Oh, yeah; I guess it's a somewhat obscure English metaphor. In common
American  speech,  at  least,  "baloney"  isn't  just a sort of bland
sausage; it is commonly used to mean things like "nonsense" or  "idle
chatter"  or other such things which the speaker doesn't want to hear
any more about.  Some slicing your baloney thin is used to  say  that
someone  is making fine distinctions between things that aren't worth
comparing at all.  When I've heard it, it has always been spoken in a
humorous voice.  Sorta like saying that someone has far too much time
on their hands.

There are probably some equally obscure ways  to  say  this  in  most
other languages.  The topic almost begs for witty metaphors.