>> IT SUPPORTS NOTATIONS like [Af2], ....
>> ... I don't know why it's
>> not in the standard, with for example a rule saying that in such a
>> notation the longest note prevails in the counting of the times,
>> for example
> I've gone for highest note prevails in the counting of the times so
> you can do things like -
>
> X:1
> T:The Cotillion
> C:Trad (Bosham Band)
> M:4/4
> L:1/8
> K:G
> [G4D4][d4B,4]|[B2D4]AB [G2B,4]AB|[c2E4]B2[A2D4]G2|[FD4]GAF [D3A,3]D|
>
> Perhaps it should be by length of the first note in the chord.

This is a very good idea, but the semantics I'd need in every instance
where I've wanted it would be that the *shortest* note counts.  This is
more reliable than hoping you don't get pedal notes above the melody.
(I suspect that most keyboard arrangements of "Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring"
would have zillions of those).  If you insist on the first note for
counting you're probably going to clash with other uses of note order
within chords, e.g. the way BarFly uses it to let you specify ties or
slurs to and from notes within the chord.  This is the sort of thing
you can do:

X:1
T:test
M:C
L:1/4
K:C
[(BG(D2] A) [(cAE2)] B)|

which draws slurs
   B  -> A
   D2 -> E2
   c  -> B
and gets the timing right.

I'm not sure quite how expressive BarFly's slur/tie mechanism for chords
is; I haven't yet encountered anything I can't do with it, but it's not
something I make much use of, and the syntax is so strange there may be
non-obvious gotchas.

> Does any existing software attach any significance to the order of
> notes in a chord?

ABC2Win does too.  But there, it's a bug.