Bryan Creer writes:
| and from ABC Music Notation: History written by a certain John Chambers -
| There is no mention that I can find of when the !...! notation was introduced
| or when standard 1.7.6 was released as a draft but it looks as if abc2win has
| a prior claim on "!".  I don't see how Jim Vint can be accused of "gratuitous
| violations" of a standard that didn't even exist.

Anyone have dates for these?

| The fact is that both "!" as a line break and "!...!" are in use so let's
| develop a no blame culture and work out how to get round it.  More to the point,
| can we try and work out  a system to make sure we all know what others are
| doing so this sort of thing doesn't happen in the future?

One of the inherent problems with all software  development  by  more
than  one  small  group  is  that  people  will  try new ideas, often
incompatible with each other, and then you get  input  using  all  of
them. If caught early, and everyone is cooperative, it's easy to pick
the winner and convert everyone else's files.  But this isn't  always
what happens.

In this case, we have an example of something that has been the  bane
of  the  computing industry since at least the late 1950s:  Even if a
lot of people agree on an "industry standard", people working on  the
market  leader systems (IBM and then Microsoft) tend to simply ignore
the standard.  "We're the standard; all you nobodies can just  follow
our  lead  or you'll have a mess on your hands." And since the market
leader usually doesn't fully document their "standard", anyone trying
to follow them has a very difficult job.

It took me a long time to grok what all those funny  !  chars  meant,
because they weren't documented anywhere, and the information I could
find was quite confusing. Were they line or staff terminators? Recent
comments  here  still  confuse  the two, but to a programmer, this is
important. I finally figured out they could just be ignored. Then the
!...!  notation came along.  This wasn't surprising, because most abc
users had never heard of abc2win's use of !, and there was no mention
of it in any abc docs. ! was an unused character, so why not use it?

This mess isn't always intended, especially when done by independents
like Jim Vint.  I think he just saw it as a bother and a waste of his
time.  But to others who can't read minds, it does often come  across
as  the  traditional  arrogance  of  the  market  leader  to industry
standards.

Well, at least in this case, there's a kludge that distinguishes  the
abc2win ! from the musical annotation !...! notation.  And this is in
the tradition of the computing industry too; kludges  like  that  are
how we usually handle the market leaders' violations of standards.

BTW, a year or so back, I had my tune finder's search bot  count  the
tunes  that  seemed  to come from abc2win (because of the ! chars, or
because they had a "% ... abc2win" comment). It came to between 9 and
10%  of the tunes.  It probably is the numeric leader (since the true
leader is "tunes created using any of a zillion text  editors"),  but
it's not anywhere approaching a majority.  It would take less work to
convert the abc2win tunes to the standard.  The best way would be  to
produce  a new abc2win that does the conversion automatically.  If it
has some useful new features (inline key changes, clefs, voices),  it
could  be  widely  adopted, and the non-conforming tunes would slowly
fade away.  Anyone want the job?

Maybe I should revive that code and do another count ...