Jack Campin writes:
| Perhaps it might make it clearer why I'm being so insistent about
| this if I explain what most of my time using ABC is spent doing.
| I spend about a full day a week in the National Library of Scotland
| researching things, mostly tunes, which are copied in ABC using a
| geriatric Mac laptop that runs BarFly and pair of cheap walkman
| headphones.
|
| For the time I'm transcribing tunes, I'm working with rare sources
| that I can't afford to have photocopied; the process required by the
| library for old and delicate material involves intermediate microfilm,
| and usually leads to a fairly bad result anyway, where things like
| articulation marks often get lost.  (The NLS's charges, which are
| among the lowest in Scotland for rare materials, are still high enough
| that if I wanted everything I transcribed to be on xerox first, I could
| easily incur a photocopy bill for a day's direct transcribing that was
| more than I paid for my laptop).

So have you (or they) considered using a digital camera instead? This
is  rapidly  becoming  a much more practical approach than microfilm.
For an example, look at:

http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/img/P7070088.JPG

I took this photo with a handheld Olympus C-700.  It's  one  of  many
cameras  with  a "macro" (;-) feature and can focus as close as about
10 cm.  This photo was taken from about 25 cm.  The weakness  of  the
staff  lines  isn't  a photo artifact; the original was that bad.  In
fact, the picture just might  be  slightly  more  readable  than  the
original.   Anyway,  this  was  taken with the page lying flat in its
binder, as you can probably see, and didn't require  me  or  anything
else  touching the page.  Bound pages would be a little bit trickier,
since they'd have to be held flat.  You'd probably want two people to
handle that, if the pages are at all fragile.

After taking the photo, I plugged the camera into  a  Mac  Powerbook,
iPhoto  read it in, and I scp'd it over to my web server.  This was a
couple minutes' work.  I'm not sure how much of this would work on  a
geriatric Mac, but it certainly works well with a newer Mac laptop.

Some years back, I read an interesting SF short story, about Sherlock
Holmes'  last case.  He was contracted by a local "flying saucer nut"
to investigate the possibility of visiting aliens.  Sherlock  thought
that  if they were really here, and hadn't announced themselves, they
were probably scholars studying our planet. So one good place to look
for  them would be the British Museum.  He went there and watched the
patrons.  He noticed some of them taking photos of a number of  books
in the collection, without using flash.  So he came back later with a
light meter, and with a bit of research at camera dealers, determined
that there were no cameras available that could take hand-held photos
without flash under the museum's low-light conditions.   This  proved
that  they  were using technology not available on Earth, so they had
to be aliens.  Case solved.

This story might not work now.  I did use flash for my photo, but I'm
pretty  sure  there  are digital cameras available (for a good price)
that wouldn't have needed flash.  But this does give you an  idea  of
what  a  consumer-grade  camera  costing a few hundred dollars can do
now.  Just make sure it can do close focus, 20 cm or less.

(I wonder if I could find the story.  I don't recall who wrote it  or
what the title was.  As the story continues, Sherlock is soon visited
by one of the aliens, who learned of him because they were monitoring
the  saucer-nut  organization,  and thus learned that he had unmasked
them.  They wanted to hire him to look for other aliens, because they
were  having problems with unauthorized visitors to Earth, and needed
someone who was good at spotting them ...)