I. Oppenheim wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Bert Van Vreckem wrote:
We're already there: using Henrik's BNF spec, a developer can generate a
parser with tools like lex and yacc.

Unfortunately, it is not trivial at all to convert a BNF definition into a working parser.
<snip>
When you use Lex and Yacc, as you suggested, you wil
come across all kind of non trivial technical problems.

Okay, perhaps I should first learn lex and yacc before ventilating opinions about it that are not backed by any factual knowledge whatsoever... ;-)

I think these problems will make clear why it would
be VERY useful to create a libabc parser as a group
project.

Well, a few years ago, I actually did a similar suggestion, but it didn't take off. Unfortunately, I'm not a C programmer. But if you are and you're willing, you're welcome at the abc project at Sourceforge. Send me your SF username and I'll add you to the project. This goes for anyone that wants to contribute, by the way.

--
Bert Van Vreckem                 <http://flanders.blackmill.net/>
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and