>> 1/ Let's define "!break!" and "!nobreak!" as symbols
>>    which can both be used mid-line.
>> 2/ Let's define "*" as an alias of the !break! symbol,
>>    which could also be used mid-line.

>No.  Look at my examples again: ! as a mid-line break works way
>better than the more visually intrusive *

I tend to favor the idea for !break! and !nobreak! and * as an
alias for the new line (the controversial *)

Good luck Guido for the new ABC draft 2.0 :))

But I wouldn't die if I had to convert all my !...! to +...+ even
if I find it less aesthetic (but that's true we abcm2ps users
never need to read our abc tunes, we use a robot from this
purpose)

ps : well, let's discuss now about the chords with different note
length [A2c4] etc. :) I expect a nice debate