Tom Keays writes:
| on 7/7/03 2:03 PM, John Chambers wrote:
| > This is one of the reasons that I turned jcabc2ps into a normal  unix
| > "filter" that reads stdin if there are no input files. That way I can
| > stick any sort of preprocessor on the beginning, and not worry  about
| > cleaning up intermediate files.
|
| Does abcm2ps work this way too?  With the discussion on the list to merge
| the two efforts, this seems like a good first step.

Yeah, that was my first suggestion, a couple of days ago. I
haven't heard back, but jef may be busy.  (I know I am. ;-)

This was one of the real disappointments that  I  had  with
abc2ps.   With something like my tune finder, which uses it
as the main tool for converting tunes to a list of formats,
there  is a real problem with managing all the intermediate
files.  It's very easy to end up  with  zillions  of  relic
files  on the disk.  Unix's pipelines can be a real help in
getting such messes under control.

Actually, one of the things that some  users  of  the  tune
finder's   conversions   have   noticed  and  asked  about:
Sometimes when the job is  done,  there  is  a  significant
pause before the connection is broken and your browser says
it's done.  What's happening is the cleanup  phase  of  the
conversion  script.   It's  searching the tmp directory for
files more than an  hour  old,  and  deleting  them.   It's
necessary  to  leave  files  around  for  a  while, because
browsers can sometimes take a  while  (i.e.,  more  than  a
second)  to  get  back  and  fetch things like images.  The
strategy is to not delete any file that may possibly be  of
some  use  in  the  near future, to give the client browser
time to get everything.   An  hour  later,  someone  else's
request handles the job of purging the old files.

Yes, it's a pain in the ass. ;-)

And it's mostly because of all the programs that insist on
using files rather than pipes.