> Surely a performer wants to know what the writer meant? And lack of
> repeat starts means there is no information as to how the tune was
> to be played, eg whether the whole tune repeated or just to the
> previous double or repeat bar.
>
> imo notation which is incorrect should be flagged by software and a
> clarification requested from a human being.

How do you propose to interrogate Captain O'Neill?

I never use repeat-start signs unless they'll appear in mid-staff-line
(the convention used by O'Neill and mostly by Kerr).  This is pretty
normal in the folk world, and probably 99.9% of all the ABC ever typed
in would fit the assumption that the previous repeat or double bar, if
it's located at the end of a line, marks the start of the repeat.

There are undoubtedly cases where you want to do it differently, but
it would be nuts to make such an alternative the default interpretation
an ABC player made, even if it is the "official" one in the textbooks.