    Richard> No, it wasn't that, just the problem of variant
    Richard> dialects. The last time I tried it (a couple of days ago,
    Richard> after the mention in uc.o.l reminded me of it) I hit a
    Richard> tune I'd just typed up which specifically wanted an
    Richard> acciaccatura, abcm2ps's {/gracenote}. Which abc2ly didn't
    Richard> like ...

I'm really out of touch with abcm2ps development (because it doesn't
deal at all well with most of the music *I* do).  But that doesn't
sound like it would be difficult to implement, if you let me know
about such things.  Also, you could check whether making the lilypond
print acciaccatura instead of standard gracenote can be done with a
%%LY statement.

    Richard> To be fair, I've just tried it on a big version of the
    Richard> Black Joak, and it didn't report any problems there
    Richard> (though lilypond subsequently blew up on a missing
    Richard> start-repeat ...)

Can you send me that file?  I thought I had that fixed.  But you're
better off pairing repeats, because then lily knows that you have a
repeat structure.  If you don't pair them, she just tries to put in the
barlines she thinks you want, but you don't have the options like
unfolding the repeats or doing more alternative endings that you would
if lily knew your repeat structure.

    Richard> [ It may be relevant to mention that I'm running Debian
    Richard> Linux (stable), and therefore probably quite a long way
    Richard> behind "current" versions. ]

If it's 1.4, you should upgrade.  You can get 1.6 from
ftp://ftp.lilypond.org/pub/LilyPond/binaries/debian.  Unfortunately,
upgrading to 1.7, which is soon to become the next 1.8 stable version,
will require getting some stuff from unstable.  But I had 1.6 on a
pure stable system.

    Richard> My thought was just that, this is possibly an important
    Richard> abc-reading program, but I don't think we've heard from
    Richard> its developers at all, on this list ? And maybe there are
    Richard> other such.

I'm probably the most active maintainer, although I haven't done
anything to 1.7.  And I do mention it from time to time, but don't
seem to get much interest back.  I don't know why, since it solves a
lot of the problems people discuss here.

    Richard> Oh, I can do that stuff ... but if you use lilypond like
    Richard> that, haven't you cut yourslef off from ABC ?

It's true that it's a nuisance when you have to correct both an ABC
file and a lilypond file for the same error.  But my website generally
has all of ABC, lilypond, MIDI, and pdf, and I get mail from users of
all of those formats.

    Richard> I don't think I'd want to use lilypond as primary storage
    Richard> for tunes, it's too wordy.

I save both.  My database that describes what I put on the web has a
field for whether the lilypond is a straight conversion from the ABC
or has extra information in it.  I have a %%LY statement that allows
me to put some of the lilypond information into the ABC file, but
anything that fiddles with the actual notes (for instance, cautionary
accidentals) has to be edited in the lilypond file.

    Richard> But if an abc2ly could read, say, a
    Richard> new-improved-standard-ABC, then conversion-on-the-fly
    Richard> might make lilypond-book a better alternative to my own
    Richard> ABC->ps-via-LaTeX scripts.

I don't feel particularly sanguine about reaching consensus for a
new-improved-standard (based on having been following this list for
almost 10 years), but anything that doesn't break backward
compatibility that you really want to use, I'll try to implement.

Since someone finally asked, I have daydreams, which may turn into
actual coding in the next couple of months, of enabling both
abctab2ps-style tablature and figured bass in abc2ly.  You do *not*
want to type the lilypond input for either one, but the lilypond
output is really nice.  See
http://www.laymusic.org/music/veracini/book/sonatas.pdf for examples
of the figured bass.

--