On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 08:17:22PM +0200, I. Oppenheim wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Laura Conrad wrote:
>
> >     Richard> So it's a circularity problem - outofdate abc2ly doesn't
> >     Richard> do what I'm wanting so I hadn't clocked it as "important"
>
> When I recently did a "apt-get install lilypond", I
> assumed it would download the latest stable version, as
> it does for all other packages I use. Now I checked,
> and it turned out to be version 1.4.12 from 2001!
>
> How come?

Debian "stable" packages _do_ tend to be somewhat less than "cutting
edge".

I've just been investigating Laura's apt sources suggestion - it very
nearly works, but s/stable/woody/ - ie, add a line

deb ftp://ftp.lilypond.org/pub/LilyPond/binaries/debian woody .

to /etc/apt/sources.list, and then "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade"
will take you to lilypond 1.6.10. I've just done this.

--
Richard Robinson