On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 05:19:50PM +0200, I. Oppenheim wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Richard Robinson wrote:
>
> > If I have a tune with decorations, and want to add a
> > staffbreak somewhere, I'm just not going to delete
> > the decorations.
>
> Of course you won't delete the decorations!
>
> All I am proposing is that you should be able to use
> "!...!" for decorations and "*" to add staffbreaks at
> the same time. Isn't that reasonable?

But my point was, that I _can_ write ! for staffbreaks.
It works. The software makes it happen. What software implements
* for a mid-line staff break ?

> Of course, people who don't use any decorations can
> without any problems continue to use "!" to add
> staffbreaks.

My point was, if it's possible to write ! for both purposes,
nno amount of "deprecation" will stop the 2 uses ending up in the
same ... line of text ? tune ? file ??
If, as is being said, people don't want to write parsing for this, we
should avoid the possibility altogether. The concept of constructions
which it's allright to use in one line/tune/file, and not in another,
depending on whether you do something unrelated, really doesn't seem
like a good idea.

> So the bottom line is:  it would be nice if both "!"
> and "*" could be used to notate a staffbreak. The
> people who do not use !...! won't be bothered by it,
> and the people who use decorations will have an easier
> time.

We're into the territory of defining new stuff here. As I said before, I
suggest it may be preferrable to invent *decoration* instead.

--
Richard Robinson