On Fri, Jul 25, 2003 at 07:15:34PM +0200, I. Oppenheim wrote:
> > > So the bottom line is:  it would be nice if both "!"
> > > and "*" could be used to notate a staffbreak. The
> > > people who do not use !...! won't be bothered by it,
> > > and the people who use decorations will have an easier
> > > time.
> >
> > We're into the territory of defining new stuff here. As I said before, I
> > suggest it may be preferrable to invent *decoration* instead.
>
> There is a good historical basis for precisely using
> "*" as a staff break operator, alongside the "!"
> operator. Namely, in abc2mtex it was already in use to
> force right-justified line breaks.

I know that's what abc.txt says. "a * at the end of each
line of abc notation will force a right-justified line-break."
But actually, it's "the end of each line" that's the linebreak -
the * forces the justification. Try it :-

X:1
T:Test
K:C
cdef gabc'- |*c'bag fedc |]

$ abc2mtex test.abc
error in input file test.abc: line no. 4 - syntax error - note cannot
follow justification

--
Richard Robinson