> What seems to have happened is that I and a few  others  pointed  out
> that  we  don't  really have a serious problem with the two uses of !
> right now, because a simple heuristic can tell which meaning was used
> in  a  tune.   But  some people misinterpreted this to mean that both
> could be legal in the standard language.  But using both in a  single
> tune is a parsing disaster.

Which could be avoided simply by having the !symbol! things (or such
of them as we want to retain) use a different bracketing character.

I want to be able to use ! as a linebreak in the very same pieces
I want to process with abcm2ps (which is the only ABC application
that can handle some of the stuff I've got).  If !symbol! stays
the only way I could do that would be by hacking the source and
recompiling a version that used +symbol+ instead, creating a new
dialect.

The fraction of the ABC corpus that would need to be changed to fit
a change of delimiter by abcm2ps is peanuts.  abc2win is still in
heavy use, and whatever other maintenance Jim does on it, he's hardly
likely to allow it to become incompatible with new Windows releases,
and it's not going to suddenly become incapable of handling the sort
of basic melodies most ABC users still want to process, so !-linebreak
tunes are going to keep coming for years.