> I'd like to catch the use the the Y: field for future extensions
> like Y:someinfofield="some info field value"
> This way we've maintained compitiblity with existing abc files
> while having the possibilty of future expansion.

Perhaps Phil (as the person whose program has the strangest parser)
is probably in the best position to answer this, but it occurred to
me a while ago that maybe we don't need a whole new letter for such
uses.  Would it be feasible to allow multi-character header fields
so long as they were introduced by a leading ":"?

  X:1
  T:Thingummy's Reel
  M:C|
  :DanceInstructions: RSCDS Book 137, 2042
  K:A

That only needs one-character lookahead, which I think was what
Phil was concerned about?

(I'm going to be away for a week, OS 1:50000 sheet 48 302241,
a mile off the nearest road with no modem).