Bernard Hill wrote:
In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Bert Van Vreckem
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
Bernard Hill wrote:

2. What's a "roll" (+roll+ in the decorations)? I've checked 6 music
dictionaries and books on notation and the only rolls mentioned are for
timpani or other percussion and notated as either "tr" or a tremolo.

It is used at least in Irish music as a general ornamentation mark. I've come across the notation a.o. in "Traditional Irish Music: Karen Tweed's Irish Choice," Dave Mallinson Publications, 1994.

Thanks. But what does it mean? What would say an autoharp make of it, say perhaps to make it a tremolo.

It means "play any ornamentation here". The exact meaning is unspecified.

--
Bert Van Vreckem                 <http://flanders.blackmill.net/>
Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and