On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Richard Robinson wrote:

> What about the cases where notes in different octaves
> have different accidentals ?

I personally think that the explicit key signature
scheme as it is currently defined in the standard is
already quite complex.

Making distinction between the octave of the
accidentals would be a bridge to far.

> Why do we have to forbid everything we can't think of
> a use for ?

I could think of a use for it, just as I could think of
a use for microtonal notation, gregorian notation, etc.
But I think that this are all highly specialized
extensions that will have to wait for a following
standardization attempt.

> > It is possible to use the format "K:<tonic> exp
> > <accidentals>" to explicitly define all the accidentals
> > of a key signature. Thus "K:D Phr ^f" could also be
> > notated as "K:D exp _b _e ^f", where 'exp' is an
> > abbreviation of 'explicit'.

> Is "K:D exp _b _e ^f" different from "K:D _b _e ^f" ?
> Where does this come from, has it been mentioned before ?

This is my solution to the problems identified in the
discussion.

"K:D exp _b _e ^f" explicitly defines a key signature,
consisting of "_b _e and ^f" with D as tonic.

"K:D _b _e ^f" is the equivalent to "K:Dmaj _b _e ^f"
which would modify the D major key signature to
"^f ^c _b _e"

 Groeten,
 Irwin Oppenheim
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]