Jack Campin writes:
| > Take plenty of Jungle Formula.  I hear the midgies are
| > especially ferocious this year!
|
| Hardly saw a midge the first couple of days.  Then I tried playing
| the flute outside at the end of the house around midnight, looking
| across to the lights of Iona.  Within a minute or two I was in the
| middle of a cloud of them and had to beat it back indoors.  My host
| suggested I should have kept playing until they were *all* gathered
| round and then marched off over the hill taking them with me.

I have an old Wizard of Id cartoon that I like to  give  to
flutists.  It has Rodney (the knight) coming up to the king
and telling him that there's a fellow in the square with  a
flute  who  says  he'll  get rid of all the town's rats for
$500.  The king says to tell him that we don't  have  rats.
Rodney says "We will if he stops playing."