Phil Taylor writes:
| On 6 Apr 2004, at 21:10, Jack Campin wrote:
|
| >> Regarding lining up barlines...  I had thought that spaces in
| >> position 0
| >> on a line were illegal.
| >> IE, the # here

| >> fe|d2B2 A2F2|A4   A2AB|d4   e2de|f2e2 egfe|
| >> ###d2B2 A2F2|A4   A2AB|d4   e2de|f2d2 d2 :|

| > No, they're fine by all standards since 1.5 at least - nor, as far as
| > I know, has any ABC software ever had a problem with them in practice.
|
| Provided, that is that the line doesn't start with a field letter.  A
| space before a non-inline field is illegal.

Funny thing is that I've been lately working  on  handling  ABC  that
does just this. One of the ongoing challenges with my Tune Finder has
been handling ABC embedded inside HTML.  This is not a good idea,  of
course, but you can't stop people from doing it.  One of the frequent
ways that people do this includes indenting all the ABC to match  the
indentation  of  the HTML tags.  It looks fine on the screen, because
HTML renderers ignore such white space.  I've found one site that has
all its ABC done this way.  (I won't name them, to protect the guilty
- and clueless.  ;-)

My situation right now is that there are  some  such  tunes  that  my
search  bot  can  recognize, but they aren't always recognized by the
code that the Finder uses to extract a tune from a page.  So you  can
see  a tune listed, and then when you try to get it, you're told that
it's not there.

This web stuff isn't always easy.