On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Stephen Kellett wrote:

> >OSX presents an interesting portability challenge: The  default  file
> >system  has "caseless" file names.  If you look around, you might not
> >notice this, because mixed-case names abound. But the case of letters
> >isn't significant when opening files.
>
> You have the same problem on Windows. Windows supports both upper and
> lower case letters in filenames, however filename matching is case
> insensitive.
>
> Try creating textfile.txt and Textfile.txt in the same directory. Can't
> do it.

This thread is getting alittle bit off-topic, but I'm continuing it anyway
;-)

I have an Atari Falcon030 computer running the FreeMiNT operating system.
(Never heard of ? Never mind :-) It is a sort of hybrid OS a little bit
like OSX. It is a mix of the TOS operating system that is in the ROM of
classic Atari computers, combined with a Unix-like multitasking OS. I have
several partitions on my harddisk with different filesystems. On one
partition I have a ext2 system that is really case sensitive. On drive
C:\ I need a FAT filesystem with the old fashion 8+3 case-insensitive DOS
file names. On another drive I have VFAT: long filenames, with upper- and
lowercase, but not really case-sensitive.

Some of my old Atari apps have problems with case-sensitive and/or long
filenames. These are installed on my old-fashioned C: drive. Other
programs, like ported unix-apps, run on my ext2 drive. And I have some
apps that need long filenames, but don't like case-sensitivity. I can do
it all on my 25 years old Falcon.

 --

Martin Tarenskeen