> I'm just doublechecking since this conversation spun off of the
> universal parser conversation...
>
> This conversation, while interesting doesn't actually pertain to the
> parser does it?  I've been trying to follow it in case it does.
>
> My understanding is that a parser will not do any file handling, and
> that the super program calling it will do all the filehandleing.  Is
> this correct?

That is mostly correct.  The parser only deals with the file contents, not
the file itself.

That said, the file contents in the ABC specifications (including the 2.0
draft) are assumed to be strictly ASCII compliant, and I believe case
sensitive everywhere.  (Someone correct me if I missed something there.)

However, string fields which are used intact and not parsed could
conceivably be encoded with non-ASCII characters, with indeterminate
results.

The parser I've been working on extends this as a side effect of the string
support in Cocoa.  Since it reads and keeps all strings in Unicode
internally (actually a simplification, but let it stand...), it will accept
files in any text encoding that the system can correctly identify and will
maintain all international strings.  It will also be a bit less strict about
line endings needing to match throughout the file, and will accept Unicode
line and paragraph endings in addition to the usual CR/LF/CRLF.

It would actually require a significant amount of extra code to defeat these
features, so I'm accepting them even though they're not strictly conforming
to the ABC specs.

-->Steve Bennett