On 22 Oct 2005, at 10:06, Remo D. wrote:

>  I just downloaded abcmus (I didn't so far since it's not free). I find
> the way it express rhythms interesting, I'll try to contact Henrik to
> see if he has any objection of me implement the same mechanism in ABCp.
>
>  So, assuming that I could be able to parse the following rythm
>
>  R: myhp meter="2/2" tempo="1/4=120" swing="1/8=7 5 0 0" 7>5 2<4
> beat="1/4=2 4 4 2"
>
>  an application could be able to define ryhthms at the beginning of a
> tunebook and use them for more than one tune.
>
>  Looking the other way round, I feel I should offer a set of standard
> ryhthms and their equivalent parameters like I did for guitar chords.
>
>  Any comment?

I've never quite been able to understand AbcMus's syntax.  Could you
explain it?

BarFly defines stress programs in a separate file.  Here is the first
definition from that file:

* 1       % Just an ID (like X: in an abc tune)
Hornpipe  % Name (must match that in the R: field)
4/4       % Metre (must match that in the M: field)
1/2=90    % Default tempo (as in Q: field)
8         % Divide each bar into 8 segments
110 1.4   % notes in first segment, velocity 110, duration 1.4 x nominal
90 0.6    % second segment, velocity 90 duration 0.6 x nominal.
110 1.4
90 0.6
110 1.4
90 0.6
110 1.4
90 0.6    % and so on down to the last segment.

For notes which persist through more than one segment, the velocity is
determined by the segment in which the note starts, but the duration is
determined by combining the durations from all the segments through
which
it passes.

There's a much more detailed explanation in the file itself, but that's
enough to give you the gist of it.

Phil Taylor

http://us.click.yahoo.com/A77XvD/vlQLAA/TtwFAA/mjFolB/TM