On Wednesday 23 November 2005 06:30, Aaron Krister Johnson wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm a composer, but new to this group. I think abcm2ps and friends are/is a
> neat little application, and for it's size produces remarkably flexible and
> attractive output.

Agree :)

> One thing that is a minor irritation though---I would prefer to not have to
> use uppercase letters for pitch at all. That is, I think it would both be
> easier to type, and more logical to have middle 'c' be spelled 'c' instead
> of 'C', and "c above middle c" be " c' ". In summary, the octaves might
> look like this:
>
> " c,, c, c c' c'' "
>
> Has anyone ever entertained this before? Do you agree/disagree?

This is a perfectly sensible syntax for general purpose notation.  The reason
it's not like that is that ABC was, back in the mists of time, invented so
that Western folk music could be easily transcribed onto paper (typesetting
software came later).  Most folk music covers from D below middle C to a
couple of octaves above, usually no higher than a B.  Therefore the two case
system made perfect sense for writing it down and less prone to error (is
that a comma, or fly s***?)

Jef Moine is generally quite willing to accept patches to abcm2ps if they make
sense, so if you feel like making the changes to do it your way, go ahead and
mail him the diff - at worst he says no and you have to maintain your own
forked version.

As others note, there probably isn't a cat's chance of this replacing the
current standard generally - too well established.

Cheers,
Calum

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/mjFolB/TM