[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The real  point of this missive is
to ask you for a recommendation as to which  Jackie Leven album I should
buy...he sounds very interesting .

Well, all of them, obviously.  Trouble is there's so many - a dozen or  so
studio albums, the most recent "Elegy for Johnny Cash" is excellent;  "Forbidden
Songs from the New West" is considered by some to be his best;  "Shining
Brother Shining Sister" is one of my favourites.  There was one  released under
the pseudonym Sir Vincent Lone  called "Songs for Lonely  Americans" which
features half a dozen crackers (And a couple of duffers "from  the vaults"
including one called Balamorey Death Chant which means nothing  unless you know that
Balamorey is a childrens tv programme).

Then theres the Haunted Valley series of albums, mainly live recordings  with
the odd studio track thrown in. These include Greek Notebook, an hour or so
of fragments of songs recorded round the campfire (in Greece), copies of which
have gone for £100+ on ebay, supposedly an insight into the songwritring
process  but I don't know of anyone who has played the whole thing twice.
However  Men in Prison, recorded in a prison in Sweden, is the business.

Jackie's studio records are sometimes criticised for being overproduced
(this generally is the case when JL is himself the producer).  Live he  generally
plays solo, acoustic.  And at his best with nothing  but guitar and voice he
is one of the most phenomenal performers  around.  Honest.

_www.jackieleven.com_ (http://www.jackieleven.com)
_www.myspace.com/thejackieleven_ (http://www.myspace.com/thejackieleven)
and there's a yahoo group which occasionally has postings about Jackie  & his
music but more importantly - for American & Australian listeners -  you can
find out all about English football scores, creme eggs and Macclesfield
crematorium

"To Live's To Fly" http://www.townesvanzandt.com

Shared files for all things TVZ: (MP3's, etc... ) http://briefcase.yahoo.com/townesvanzandt2001

See TVZ related links and files or change  your membership settings
at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AboutTownes

"There's only two kinds of music... The Blues and Zip-a-dee-doo-dah." - Townes Van Zandt

Country music artists Townes van zandt New country music artists

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS