I got introduced to some of Jackie Levens work from me old buddy
Senor P, AKA Mike Plumbley (and another great writer himself), whom I
first encountered right here at AboutTownes.
Jackie is an outstanding writer and reader. Senor P is one helluva
class act. I miss him 'round here.

Mark
--- In AboutTownes@yahoogroups.com, "Dugald Sinclair"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks indeed for that Phil.  I've always loved Riding the Range ;
it just
> drips with irony and now with the background info you supplied it's
even
> better.  Speaking of irony, I was talking to the great Scottish
singer Dick
> Gaughan  on his recent visit out here and he put forward the view
that
> Pancho and Lefty should be understood in that light, which I
thought was an
> interesting slant on the perennial " what's it about?" question.
He also
> told a joke about Americans and irony which I will only pass on if
I get
> sufficient requests.                       The real point of this
missive is
> to ask you for a recommendation as to which Jackie Leven album I
should
> buy...he sounds very interesting .          Oh, and to suggest that
anyone
> who doesnt know Dick Gaughans version of Pancho and Lefty-should
chase up
> the Redwood Cathedral CD and have a listen , it's the most original
cover
> going about I think. He told me that he didnt listen to any version
of the
> song for over a year before he recorded it so as to be able to get
his own
> take on what he he calls a personal tribute to a great songwriter
(irony and
> all).       Dugald from Oz

"To Live's To Fly" http://www.townesvanzandt.com

Shared files for all things TVZ: (MP3's, etc... ) http://briefcase.yahoo.com/townesvanzandt2001

See TVZ related links and files or change  your membership settings
at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/AboutTownes

"There's only two kinds of music... The Blues and Zip-a-dee-doo-dah." - Townes Van Zandt

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS