Repadmin will identify all DCs that host a particular naming context (or in forest, or site, or….etc.). That said, there are a couple of caveats here:

1)       a non-DC could be using FRS (say for an FRS replica set behind DFS)

2)       a DC could host more than one replica set (SYSVOL, of course, and one (or more) for DFS)

I would suggest identifying machines (not I said machines and not DCs….could be non-DCs) by looking in cn=file replication service,cn=system within a particular domain. That will then have a container for each replica set and you can identify machines that participate in that replica set from looking in that container.

If, however, you are only interested in SYSVOL, then it is safe to assume that all DCs in a particular domain replicate SYSVOL for that domain.

In terms of turning the service on and off remotely, I would think WMI is the best way to go, but I’m not a scripting guru so maybe others know a better way.

I think there are scripts up in KB that help with this in the context of performing a global D2 of all DCs except one you D4. I would look there….I think some of it is canned for you already.

~Eric