From: Svetlana Kouznetsova [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 21 July 2004 11:03
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ActiveDir] W2K DC replacement

Hi everybody,

My question might sound silly, but I guess, it allowed when you desperate.

Hope to get your valuable advice.

We have W2K domain controller, which has been taken off line and needs to be rebuild. Unfortunately, the rebuilt part started before we realised, we need to transfer roles to another machine at least. (we have just 2 DC in that domain)

We have now new plans – to promote a new W2K box into domain controller instead of the old one, which will return online as a member server, as running vital applications.

I know that we’ve done it the wrong way. (please be gentle).  But it’s about too late...So my question is really, in what order should I bring in new W2K server into domain.

Can I transfer roles into new DC, if the old one off line or should I re-install the old one as domain controller even if for transfer of roles only?

Do I need to do metadata cleanup, if roles will be transferred or just let AD naturally clear it up, replicating changes?

Is there any gotchas to watch out for?

The only DC left is GC server, as the one, that gone, used to have all the rest of roles.

Many thanks in advance for any helpful advices.

Lana.

This e-mail and the information it contains are confidential and may be privileged. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately and delete the material from any computer. Unless you are the intended recipient, you should not copy this e-mail for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.
The MCPS-PRS Alliance is not responsible for the completeness or accuracy of this communication as it has been transmitted over a public network. Whilst the MCPS-PRS Alliance monitors all communications for potential viruses, we accept no responsibility for any loss or damage caused by this e-mail and the information it contains.
It is the recipient's responsibility to scan this e-mail and any attachments for viruses. Any
e-mails sent to and from the MCPS-PRS Alliance servers may be monitored for quality control and other purposes.

The MCPS-PRS Alliance Limited is a limited company registered in England under company number 03444246 whose registered office is at c/o 29-33 Berners Street, London, W1T 3AB.