-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Brett Shirley
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 7:24 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] OT - The downfall of Novell and NetWare (was-
Biggest AD Gripes)

I wouldn't say the msft marking machine paid zero attention, some brain-dean
PM or marketing schuckster, decided we should call LDAP Naming Contexts,
Partitions, instead because of Novell.

Cheers,
-BrettSh [msft]
Ex-AD Dev

This posting is NOT "AS IS".  It comes with all rights and warranties it
implies.  I wonder if I'll get in trouble now.

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005, Rick Kingslan wrote:

> Heh....  From a pure technical view, quite right.
>
> However - that's where I started - NetWare 2.0  (I mean the FIRST
> NetWare 2.0).  I still remember the proprietary servers that they used
> to manufacture.
>
> However, what really killed Novell was not the brilliant technical
> ideas of Drew Majors (who, I still respect as a guy with real vision),
> but the Megalomania and obsessive behavior or Ray Noorda.
>
> Ray so envied Bill Gates that he was going to do anything to better Gates.
> This meant that Ray effectively lost focus of what Novell was all
> about in the interest of buying up products that he thought would better
Microsoft.
> Hence, absolutely ridiculous amounts of money (OK, for that time it
> was
> ridiculous...) were spent for WordPerfect and ATT Unix, as well as
> other pieces that were picked up.
>
> But, the focus was lost, NT 4.0 caught on, and the Microsoft marketing
> machine paid no attention (outwardly, at least) to Noorda.  They just
> went after the customers who had lost patience with the very badly off
> track NetWare.
>
> What was once a major player - and owned greater than 80% of the
> server market all but became a bit player overnight.
>
> Rick

with bad management is just as bad as bad technology.

Netware 4.

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx