I have a wacky idea that just might work - because I like wacky ideas.

What if you made a new forest with say one DC and one account - the
contractor guy. (since the security boundary is the forest, put him in a
new forest)

Then what if you made a trust between the two with selective
authentication.

Then what if using selective authentication in AD you set that machine to
allow authentication from that user account.

Then what if you made that user account admin or less of that machine.

That should grant him full rights on the little baby stand alone DC that
you set up - which if he breaks it he cannot do anything at all.  It will
also grant him admin rights to that server (you could give him less).

It would also keep him off every other machine because his account would
need explicit access rights via. the selective authentication set up on the
trust.

And, seeing he has no rights in the real domain he would not be able to
change that selective authentication check, nor would he be able to give
himself access on any other box.

Of course, he could just sit on the file server and sniff for passwords -
so if he really wanted the access he would eventually get it somewhere -
but he would have to work for it.

Just a thought;

James R. Day
Active Directory Core Team
Office of the Chief Information Officer
National Park Service
202-230-2983
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           ASB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           [EMAIL PROTECTED]|
|         |           tivedir.org            |
|         |           09/23/2005 03:10 PM AST|
|         |           Please respond to      |
|         |           ActiveDir              |