The proposal was no history, nor even a history of who modified it, merely
who made the current state of the AD be the way it is.  In order to do
that, you must track the modifier (whether by "backlink", GUID, SID, DN,
samAccountName, whatever) at the replication conflict level, ergo for each
attribute, and for DN values for each value.

The ancillary question, was, would it be OK to just get the last modifier
at the object level (i.e. aggregate it up to who last touched the object,
any attribute of value).  Obviously, this would lose who made the change
at time whenChanged minus 1 (or more).

The first probably will not bloat the DIT, (in fact it will probably
shrink the DIT as I will show shortly, when I find an extra hour).  In a
twist of irony, the later even though significantly less data, would
probably bloat the DIT (although obviously only very slightly).

This is because to implement the first idea, you have enough of an impact
on DIT size (10% or more), the team would consider strongly compressing
the meta-data to make up for it.  Where as the later, would be so
insignificant, that no one would invest in any compression.  At least that
is my prediction of how it would play out.

Cheers,
-Brett

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx