Cool.  Now I understand the rationale for what you were getting at.

Rick

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 1:54 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: Re: [ActiveDir] icmp's

Rick came out of the woodwork and rambled:

"Huh?  Can you explain both statements, joe?"

First statement being, I would rather not set domain policies in GPOs... I am referring to actual domain policy, not a policy applied to all machines in the domain. You know, the original meaning of domain policy. Pushing any policy to domain controllers that has to do with configuration of AD is assinine in my opinion, you already have a mechanism to push those changes through the environment. You don't need to use another one. Also it is a point of confusion for tons and tons of people. There should be a clear divisor between true domain policy and a policy that gets applied to each individual machine.

Second statement being programmatically handling settings in policies... You can't set GPO settings programmatically unless you reverse the format of the policy information in sysvol. All you can do is backup/restore/export/import/enable/disable. What if I want to take all policies under the OU Buildings (which could be tens, hundreds, or thousands of policy files) and set one setting, for the sake of argument say password policy for local machines is equal to some set of values based on the specific OU name that the policy is applied to (say it has finance in the name of the OU) how will you do that programmatically without directly hacking the policy files which last I heard wasn't supported?