On Thu, Nov 01, 2001 at 03:05:03AM +0200, guy keren wrote:

> the kernel needs to be compiled differently for a single-processor machine
> (uni-processor) and for a multi-processor machine (SMP), since some of the
> code changes between the 2 options. a uni-processor CPU won't work for a
> multi-processor machine (or perhaps will work with only one of the CPUs? i
> have no experience with that), and an SMP kernel will lock-up during boot
> on a single-CPU machine (happened to me lately).

I think that would make it a bad bug. SMP kernels are supposed to be
perfectly fine to use on UP machines (except for the unnecessary SMP
synchronization overhead, of course). Also IIRC UP kernel would
only utilitize the first CPU like you said.

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0110.3/1583.html