On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 06:10:42PM +0200, guy keren wrote:
> unfortionately, economists measure profits in many different methods. just
> as an example - a positive cash flow (which is what _you_ describe as
> 'income - outcome') does not mean the company is profitable - to be realy
> profitable, you heave to measure these numbers over the complete period of
> life of the company, which might be rather complicated....

Right. Currently we have two different numbers for Red Hat -- one
shows it's losing, the other that it's profiting. My point was that
the main difference between them is that one includes companies owned
by Red Hat losing value and the other doesn't. Since we are talking
about Red Hat having or not having a future, then it does not matter
if companies owned by it are losing value, as Red Hat is not planning
on becoming an investment company. I.e., regardless of the other
number, Red Hat uses its core business to make money /now/, in these
hard economic times. It most definetely has a future.