Zoltan:
  Just a hunch, but those files sound like the Microsoft redistributable
libraries that are required for the client.  So the upgrade consists of more
than just running msiexec; there are a couple of vcredist_x86.exe calls to make
as well.  It just feels like those calls were missed.

FWIW,
Robert Talda
EZ-Backup Systems Engineer
Cornell University